HJ: It’s pretty common to hear people tossing around the idea that everything is made of energy and that thoughts can create reality, but just what is the basis for these ideas and concepts? I can tell you from first hand experience that they are absolutely true and as real as the computer you’re reading this on, but for some, subjective experience is not enough — they want to know what science (in this case physics) has to say about it and achieve a more analytical understanding of just how these laws are operating. Well, if you are in that group, you will like this primer on exactly what is behind the metaphysical concepts that are so often spoken of on this website and any of the other progressive, new age, spiritually-inclined blogs that are popping up left and right these days.
Despite all the new-agey, metaphysical imagery and platitudes, there is some serious science backing up what is being said. Not everyone espousing these truths may understand it at an advanced quantum physics level, and they may have even distorted the underlying concept a bit through misunderstandings of exactly what is being implied, but nonetheless, the core concepts have now been proven by quantum physics. It’s only a matter of time until these seemingly fringe beliefs become taken for granted as everyday realizations about the nature of reality. Now that is something I am waiting patiently for…
“If anybody says he can think about quantum physics without getting giddy, that only shows he has not understood the first thing about them.” ~ Niels Bohr
I love learning about quantum physics but I’ll be the first to tell you I have a very elementary understanding of how it all works, at best. With that being said, I humbly present you with 7 quantum facts that’ll make you go hmm.
1. According to quantum physics, we are part of a vast, invisible field of energy, which contains all possible realities and responds to our thoughts and our feelings.
2. All material things are made up of atoms (which are made up of subatomic particles- protons, neutrons, electrons etc), which are 99.99999 percent energy and .00001 percent matter. Think about it―every physical thing in our life is not solid matter but rather, fields of energy or frequency patterns of information. Matter is more “no-thing” (energy) than “some-thing” (particles). Our physical bodies and the body of the physical Universe are as proportionately empty as is all of space. The essential nature of our material bodies and that of the solid-appearing Universe is that they are both non-material. They are made up of non-stuff.
3. Our material bodies and the body of the Universe both flicker in and out of existence at the speed of light. Our nervous systems cannot process these quantum events at the speed at which they are really happening, so it decodes the energy and information soup of the Universe into the experience of solid three-dimensional material bodies.
4. The “Observer Effect” in quantum mechanics states that at the subatomic level, energy responds to our mindful attention and becomes matter. Quantum experiments demonstrate that electrons (part of the subatomic particles that make up the atom) exist simultaneously in an infinite array of possibilities in an invisible field of energy. So, a particle (matter) cannot manifest in ordinary space-time reality until we observe it. Knowing this, mind and matter can no longer be considered separate; they are intrinsically related, because subjective mind produces measurable changes on the objective, physical world.
5. Every human being, along with every material thing in the Universe, broadcast a distinct energy pattern, and this energy carries information. Our fluctuating states of mind, conscious or unconscious, change this pattern on a moment-to-moment basis because we are not just a physical body; we are consciousness using a body and a brain to express different levels of mind.
6. Quantum Entanglement Theory states that all humans and the quantum field are interconnected. It says that once two particles can be linked in some way, they will always be bonded together beyond space and time. So anything that is done to one, will be done to the other even though they are spatially separated from one another. What this means is that since we too are made up of particles, we are all connected beyond space and time. So quite literally, what we do unto others, we do unto ourselves.
7. The intelligence keeps our heart beating is part of our autonomic nervous system, which is located in the brain. The brains limbic system is part of the automatic nervous system. Within the brain, there are specific tissues responsible for keeping the heart beating, which are made up of cells. Those cells are made up of molecules. Molecules are made up of atoms. Atoms are made up of subatomic particles and subatomic particles are primarily composed of energy (see #1).
So think about this, most of us spend the majority of our days with our attention focused on the 0.00001 percent of reality that is physical rather than the 99.99999 energy that makes all of this physical stuff up. I mean really think about those implications for a minute and how much we may be missing.
The preceding facts don’t even begin to scratch the surface of the wacky world that is quantum physics! For further information on the ideas presented in this article, I recommend Dr. Joe Dispenza’s Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself, Deepak Chopra’s Everyday Immortality, Dr. Amit Goswami’s The Self-Aware Universe and Ken Wilber’s A Brief History of Everything (though there’s many more great authors, books and films on this subject as well- these are just some personal favorites).
Chris Grosso is an author with Beyond Words/Atria Books (Simon & Schuster) and is represented by literary agent Michele Martin of MDM Management (Gabrielle Bernstein, Dr. Lissa Rankin etc.) Chris is the Spiritual Director of the interfaith center The Sanctuary at Shepardfields, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit land preserve that offers educational resources for personal transformation, community evolution and environmental restoration. Chris also runs a website The Indie Spiritualist , which interviews an eclectic mix of people from the worlds of film, literature, music, skateboarding, art, spirituality and more. In his spare time, Chris tours the country playing as part of a 2 piece Kirtan band which simply goes by the musicians names, Alanna Kaivalya & Chris Grosso. Chris also makes up ½ of the two-piece ambient/doom band, Womb Of The Desert Sun on The Path Less Traveled Records. Follow Chris on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.